Balkan-Ethnic Dance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Defining Performance-level

2 posters

Go down

Defining Performance-level Empty Defining Performance-level

Post  denismurf Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:48 pm

Here's my stab at what a performance-level event or group is.

Event is easier because it already has a term - master class. It's intended for teachers and stresses conformity to what the master teacher lays out in terms of both styling and what the feet/legs/arms/hands are doing at any given moment, regardless of how simple the dance is. I include here the short course on teaching folk dance that Dick Oakes and Richard Duree held in Las Vegas 7 or 8 years ago.

An example of a performance-level group is the 6- or 8-week series called Danceshare in St. Louis. There is no master teacher. Instead, members of the regular group teach complex, mostly Balkan, dances to each other. Participants are expected to clear up disagreements on steps and styling and ultimately to agree on one way to do each dance.

When I started folk dancing in Monterey CA in 1961, there was a performance-level international FD group that met weekly at the USO (in case any of you were in Monterey at the time) and played a spread of difficulty levels. The core group were friendly and helpful, but made it clear that dancers were expected to conform to the one right way the group did each dance.

There was an element of fun in each of these examples, but it was subordinate to the requirement of uniformity. There was also a lot of time and attention devoted to choreological and historical background.

I enjoy all of the types of dancing we've laid out here and hope that posters will accord them all the respect they deserve.

denismurf
Admin

https://balkan-ethnic-dance.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Defining Performance-level Empty Re: Defining Performance-level

Post  lenusz Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:56 am

Hi Denis, just a short question. Do you consider an ensemble as a performance level group?

lenusz

Back to top Go down

Defining Performance-level Empty "Ensemble?"

Post  denismurf Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:54 pm

Not sure what you mean by "ensemble," Len. If it's just any group that puts on exotic clothes and does "foreign" dances before an audience, then I've been in 6 ensembles lifetime. Two were inclusive, as we're using that term here, and 4 were performance-level.

Denis

denismurf
Admin

https://balkan-ethnic-dance.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Defining Performance-level Empty Re: Defining Performance-level

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum